What Are the Entry Requirements for Tanzania?
Foreigners seeking to enter the United Republic of Tanzania should be in possession of a valid passport, at least six months prior to expiration. The passport is to be presented to the Immigration Control Officer at any entry point: border station, airport, harbor etc.
The passport must be presented along with one of the following:
- A valid visa. Entry Requirements. Entry Requirements.
- Resident permit. Entry Requirements. Entry Requirements.
- A pass. Entry Requirements. Entry Requirements.
A visitor must also present an onward or return ticket together with proof that the visitor has sufficient funds to support himself or herself while in Tanzania.
All foreigners from non-Commonwealth countries are required to have a valid visa unless their countries have agreements with Tanzania under which the visa requirement is waived. Exemptions: Citizens of Commonwealth countries are not required to obtain visas unless they are citizens of the United Kingdom, Canada, Nigeria, or India. The visa permission is granted to a foreigner who intends to travel to Tanzania on business, for a holiday, to study or conduct research, or for other approved activities. When entering Tanzania, the visitor without a visa may then obtain from the immigration control officer, a pass or any other authority to enter the country.
Visas are issued by the following: Entry Requirements.
- The office of the Director of Immigration Services, Dar es Salaam, and the office of the Principal Immigration Officer, Zanzibar.
- Tanzanian representatives abroad: Visas can be obtained at Tanzanian Embassies and High Commissions, such as the Tanzanian Embassy of the United States.
- Entry points to the United Republic of Tanzania: principally Namanga, Tunduma, Sirari, Horohoro, Kigoma port, Dar es Salaam International Airport, Kilimanjaro International Airport, Zanzibar Harbour and Zanzibar Airport.
- Any other gazetted entry point.
At Kilimanjaro Airport, passengers disembark their flights outside on the tarmac. Upon entering the airport, there is one line for visitors who have their visas and one line for visitors who need to purchase their visas.
To avoid potential loss of passports in the mail or delays in visa processing, Zebra Safaris recommends that US citizens obtain their visas upon arrival, at Kilimanjaro International Airport. It is an easy and simple process. The cost of a Tanzanian visa for US citizens is $100, payable in US dollars.
Canadian, Austrailian, British and most European passport holders can also obtain visas upon arrival at the airport. The cost of a Tanzanian visa is $50, payable in US dollars. Confirm with your embassy.
- Before you go
- About us
- Contact Us